Friday, September 26, 2008

I Hated Being Slim

I was a very slim girl. And I hated it. I wanted to be fat. I didn't like it when I was always pushed aside whenever there was a struggle. Again inside buses, if I have the misfortune of sitting with fat people I'll be squizzed and switched to near faint before I reach my destination. My reshaped clothes still didn't size me. They were always too big for me.


So I started visiting sites about weight loss to find out what the fat gens were asked to steer clear of. I ate all that they were asked not to eat. I watched the fat ones around and I forced myself to eat whenever and whatever they were eating.It didn't work. Still I persisted because I was sick and tired of being slim( very tiny).


Then one day I saw something which made me take notice. I've seen this all along but I just didn't notice. I saw my cousin coming down the stairs in what would be called agony. She was gasping and wheezing taking the stairs. And even at that she didn't walk up to a mile before she hiked a bike to a distance I usually trek to and for. She was fat. It was then I really noticed the other side of being fat. I saw what fat people go through because of their weight. I remember being at a junction one day waiting for a taxi with others. We were already two in the taxi when a fat lady wanted to join us but the driver told her that she has to pay for two. The lady tried to drag the price but the man was adamant. His reason being that she will occupy the space for two so she either pays for two people or she waits for another taxi. At the end she had to wait for another taxi while we drove off.


I then realized that I didn't want to be fat. I thought very hard about it and came to the conclusion that what I wanted was to be fit, trim and healthy. Therefore I embarked on balanced diet. Instead of consuming starch (carbohydrates) alone, when I was searching for fat, I added fruits and vegetables. I also restarted my morning exercise which I'd stopped in a bid to get fat. I usually do some yoga or follow the morning exercise on television every morning, before going out for the day. I erroneously believed that lack of exercise will make me fat. Now I know better. Exercise keeps you fit and healthy whether you are slim or fat.


Now I am glad to say I am neither slim nor fat, I am okay. I am trim, fit and healthy just what I want. You can be so too. First find out exactly what it is you want. You have to be able look at yourself in the mirror and like what you see. If you don't like what you are seeing presently, take the necessary steps to get it.

No comments: